Red Sox DVD is Fantastic Outreach Tool! Request a copy of the 22 min. Red Sox DVD featuring clips from the 2004 playoffs and personal faith testimonies of nine Red Sox players at email@example.com
We must engage men with the Word of God. The Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy, “All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (II Timothy 3:16,17)
Question: How are you and your church engaging men with the Word of God?
There are all kinds of methods. Let’s look at five different ways from The Navigators Word Hand Illustration. For more on this tool – go to www.navigators.org
1. Hearing the Word This most often happens on Sunday morning and provides men with insight into another persons’ study of the Scriptures. This is the most common way men are engaged with God’s Word.
Hint: Providing men with an outline, a pen and encouragement to take notes will maximize hearing the Word.
2. Reading the Word This will help men develop a broad understanding of scripture. The goal is to get men acquainted with the Bible. Few adult men will read the Bible on a regular basis without a reading program and without some form of ongoing encouragement.
Hint: Every few years – encourage the men of your church to read through the Bible in a year. Mobilize the men to utilize the same tool – like one of those found at www.backtothebible.org/devotions/journey/
3. Studying the Word This will lead men to a personal discovery of God’s principles and truths. It is often in the context of a small group where other men are also making discoveries. Studying the Word in a small group can often lead to personal application and life change. There are many Bible Studies specifically designed for men to help them tackle the relevant issues of their lives.
Hint: Get great bible study resources for men from Men’s Life www.menslife.org
4. Memorizing the Word This will resource men for battle and for mission. Many men think that they cannot memorize scripture but all they need is a system, a plan and a lot of encouragement. The psalmist declared in Psalm 119:11, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”
Hint: Consider using the Topical Memory System from NavPress but change the pace of the system and encourage men to memorize one verse every two weeks www.navpress.com
5. Meditating on the Word This will lead men quickly to personal application as men think about the meaning of the passage and how it relates to their life. This is because ‘The Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart’ (Hebrews 4:12).
Hint: Resource your men with a devotional tool such as ‘Stand Firm’ from LifeWay www.lifeway.com or ‘Men of Integrity’ from Christianity Today www.christianitytoday.com
Iron Sharpens Iron is a donor supported 501(c)3 ministry. Would you consider a gift to this ministry?
Please click here to partner financially with us: https://interland3.donorperfect.net/weblink/weblink.aspx?name=ironsi&id=1
*Are you listening to our daily radio program for men? Go to www.Man2ManExpress.com to hear today’s daily broadcast – as well as every past broadcast from the past month.